We held our first EVER Virtual event earlier this month…and it was a huge success!
The Ludlow Fairtrade Virtual Big Brew was held on the 11th May. It was a relaxed event, with tea and cake provided by LFTG’s very own Liz Taylor – who worked hard to bake and distribute “mini cake boxes” for the occasion.
Here are the highlights:
- Learning about the work of Ludlow Fairtrade Town Group and Ludlow 21, who promote all things eco and Fairtrade in Ludlow
- Hearing first hand stories from smallholders in Bangladesh, whose lives have been adversely affected by the catastrophic effects of climate change
- Finding out how Traidcraft Exchange are working with communities in Africa and East Asia to develop resilience against the impacts of climate change, and build a better future for their children
- Testing our knowledge of climate change in the challenging – but hugely informative – Climate Change Quiz, and finding out what we can do to tread more lightly on the planet
- Sharing fabulous Fairtrade recipes, like Sardine Maftoul and Feta & Date Filo Parcels
- Raising over £100 for Traidcraft Exchange’s Regenerators Appeal, exceeding our target! All of this money will be DOUBLED by the UK government to help communities stand strong in the face of climate change.
The £105 we raised will be doubled by the UK government to £210, which is enough to fund solar panels for a smallholder farmer. Furthermore, Traidcraft Exchange will receive £26.25 in Gift Aid, bringing the total they’ll receive to £236.25.
Not bad at all for an evening of tea and cake!
If you missed the Big Brew then don’t worry, there are still plenty of opportunities to support the appeal. As well as donating online, please do come along to one of our upcoming events…
Sunday 23rd May 11am, St Laurence’s Church: We’ll be hosting a Bring and Buy Bake Sale following the 10am Parish Eucharist. Come along, buy some delicious Fairtrade goodies and help us raise money to support the Regenerators.
Thursday 27th May 10am – 2pm, Local to Ludlow markets: The fair trade stall at the Local to Ludlow Market is making a comeback! From May 2021 the stall will be selling a range of ethically sourced products at the second market of each month.
On the 27th May there will be a second-hand book and DVD sale to raise money for the Regenerators Appeal. Take a book and make a donations – every pound will be doubled.
Saturday 5th June 10am – 4pm, Ludlow Mascall Centre: The Traidcraft Summer Pop-up Shop will be open for all your ethically sourced food, gifts and homewares. There will be a chance for you to make a donation to support the Regenerator’s Appeal and have your gift doubled through UK Aid Match.